Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Blessed.

I'm sure you can imagine the amount of baby clothes I have in my house right now.

Today, I tackled the daunting task of going through clothes that no longer fit the big girl, or the twins. I ended up with a few clothes to store for a future baby ( don't worry, not in the near future) and a huge stash that I'm donating to a family at our church. This family just had a baby girl in April, so I'm so excited to be able to pass on these clothes to a good home, some of the outfits still had tags on them!

As I was folding the outfits and loading them in bags, so my mom could take them with her to church choir practice tonight, my mom said something that has stayed with me all day....

"This is such a great thing you are doing, you are really helping this family so much, this will mean so much to them, because they are really struggling right now"

Times are hard.
The economy sucks.
It's no secret.

Lots of families are going through tough times, and while I knew it was a good thing I was donating these clothes, it was the way my mom said it, that took me aback.

I am so blessed.

My family is so blessed.

There are so many times I complain because I'm tired, or my house is constantly a wreck, or I haven't shed those last few baby pounds, but really....so what?

There are families out there who don't know how they are going to feed their children, they can't pay their light bill or their rent, they can't afford to do simple things, like throw a birthday party for their kid.

It breaks my heart.

I've always been aware of other's hardships, but since I have become a mother, the reality of a family struggling really hits a different chord. It affects me differently.

I soppose because I am a mom who wants to give my children everything, I can appreciate how utterly devastating it must feel to not be able to provide even the most simple things for your family.

So, all day I've been taking time to stop and thank God for the blessings he has given me and my family.

Three beautiful and HEALTHY children, a husband who loves me and works hard every day so that I can stay home with my girls and so that all of us have everything we need; parents who are my biggest fans, brothers who are my best friends.

I'm not lucky, I'm blessed.

I know it, and I am thankful.

I think we all could benefit from taking a "time-out" from our busy lives and just giving thanks, but more importantly, we also need to give back.

Clothes are one thing, but honestly, there is so much more I can be doing. And I plan to, I have been given so much, and I am ready to give back and help others as much as I can!

So thanks for reading this, and I hope it inspires some of you to give back as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment