Sunday, June 6, 2010

The Teething Monster

I'm happy to report my husband and I have made it through, quite possibly, one of the hardest weeks we have EVER had to endure as parents.

LO started the whole teething process kind of late. Apparently it's different for all children, but Lo did not get her first tooth until she was 11 1/2 months old. Yes, she showed signs of some discomfort but nothing I couldn't handle.

I was so excited to finally be able to start filling in the "My First Teeth" section of her baby book (don't laugh). Naturally I felt like the biggest moron ever, I don't know the difference between incisor, cuspid, molar....her first tooth was her bottom front-right one...that's as scientifically correct I get with "tooth names". Luckily, the page had a diagram of all the teeth, so I just drew a line to the bottom front-right tooth and labeled 11.5 months. Voila! Best mom ever!

Anyways...at her 1 year check up, the Pediatrician looked in her mouth and said "looks like those molars are about to come in".

How exciting! More teeth! Sure enough, I pried her mouth open and saw on the roof of her mouth her so-called molars about to cut through.

Well, that was 3 weeks ago. Nothing too much to report, I kept checking, but nothing. Then this week, something was off. LO woke up, not herself...she was a straight up MONSTER! I say that with as much love as possible.

Must be the teeth! Those tricky molars, I was shocked when I pried her mouth open to see that her top front-right tooth was completely out! I wasn't even expecting that tooth to make an appearance yet! Along with her brand new top tooth, her so-called molars, AND the teeth next to them were starting to cut.

4 teeth at once!

God Bless any parent who has been through this before. It's AWFUL. She was so uncomfortable and pitiful, she didn't want to eat, didn't want anything in her mouth including cold teething rings, the pain reliever and orajel never seemed to take the edge off long enough. A week of no naps, crying tantrums, no appetite, inconsolable madness. Our ONLY saving grace was that she STILL slept through the night. I can only attribute that to her being severely exhausted from not having any naps during the day though.

whew.

It's been a rough week, but I have to give my hubs props, he was a huge help and kept me calm through the whole process!

No comments:

Post a Comment