Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Friday and Monday

Sorry I missed my new mom tip Friday and yesterday's "My favorite things."

I have been dealing with a sick puppy! Oscar, our bulldog had to go to the vet to have eye surgery on his "cherry eye" and have his hotspots treated. Bulldogs are A LOT of work, but he's worth all of it :) He came home Saturday, and I have been taking care of the little guy. He has an e-collar (the lampshade) and lots of meds, so It's been a job in itself just keeping him on track!
He's doing great though, and will be back to normal in no time.

So, My New Mom Tip this week has to be....pick your battles.

This was especially true for me this weekend. It is impossible for you to hold your baby ALL the time. There are things you HAVE to get done. I know I try to get my laundry going, and clean, and catch up on dishes while my LO is sleeping, because of course when she is awake I try to give her lots of attention! However, sometimes you just have to put them down, even if they scream their head off, and get what you need to get done, done. This weekend, I had a whole house to clean, LOADS of laundry to catch up on, and a sick dog, who has about a million meds, and was unable to control his bladder because of the anesthesia from his surgery. So, I had a lot to deal with, and I HAD to let my baby cry it out until I was able to get her and play with her to calm her down. It's never easy to hear your baby cry, but I just had to keep telling myself, it's not going to cause any permanent damage and the quicker I can get these things taken care of, the quicker I can get her and comfort her. Sometimes you just have to pick your battles, and surprisingly, babies are pretty clever, and learn to self-sooth and entertain themselves, and instantly forgive you when you show up to scoop them up in your arms!!!!

My favorite things:

Smiling!!!! It's not a product this week. This weekend (as I said) has been incredibly hectic. LO has been waking up a lot in the middle of the night because she has a little cough that is making her really uncomfortable. Even though it's so hard and draining to be woken up by crying in the middle of the night/early, early morning. It stops being hard when I get to her crib and we lock eyes. She immediately stops crying and a huge smile spreads over her face and she gives me a little giggle. Genuinely happy to see me! Nothing can beat that feeling! That's why her sweet smile, is DEFINITELY my favorite thing!

No comments:

Post a Comment