Friday, August 14, 2009

New Mom Tip

FORMULA

I figured I do two new mom tips today since I missed one last week. Both of these tips are going to be about formula!

Tip #1 Hoarding isn't a bad thing!

Formula is expensive. When I had my baby I tried to nurse and pump but the reality was, eventhough I was nursing and pumping I still had to supplement with formula from time to time. I found the ready to feed was the easiest in the early days. You just pop it in the fridge and pour it in the bottle when you need it. I especially liked the ready to feed more than the powder because in the first few weeks LO was only eating 1-2 oz. every 2-3 hours, so for me, it was easier to just dump the already made mixture in the bottle and be ready to go. I use the powder now, but no matter which type you choose they are all pricey. Eventhough I was hell bent on breastfeeding my child, I wish I had stocked up on formula BEFORE I had her. The powder especially lasts a long time. As long as you don't open the package, the powder is good for 3 years! If you know you are going to go the formula route, you really should stock up on formula throughout your pregnancy. Once the baby comes there are about a million other things you will be buying, so it's nice if you already have a stockpile of formula. If you know you are going to try and breastfeed, stocking up on formula isn't jinxing yourself. It's good to always be prepared, and if you are one of those people who are able to breastfeed your child exclusively for the first year, more power to you, but there's no harm in having an emergency stash around! So, stock up now...it will be easier on you in the long run!

Tip #2 Convenience is EVERYTHING!

This tip is inpired by my recent 14 hour road trip (I still shutter when I think about it). Traveling is an ordeal anyways but add an infant into the mix and it can be down right extremely overwhelming! I touched a little bit on the ready to feed formula in my Tip#1, but for traveling the ready-to-feeds are a MUST! I used the ready-to-feed bottles, where all you have to do is shake, attach a nipple (to the actual container the formula comes in) and you're ready to feed your baby. They come in 8 oz. packages, so although I only used 5-6 oz. out of one of the bottles, the convenience was worth the wasted 2 oz.! I just had to shake the container, attach a nipple, and throw what I didn't use, away. No worrying about mixing, and washing while on the road....one less thing to think about! So, if road trips or any kind of traveling are in your future, I highly reccommend you check these ready-to-feed bottles out!

No comments:

Post a Comment