Friday, July 24, 2009

New Mom Tip

BREAK OUT THOSE BOOKS

I love to read, and am a strong believer in reading. We have been reading to my daughter since Day 1.

When I got home from the hospital and was still in my "out of it" phase, my mom would read to my daughter. Her favorite book is "The Saggy Baggy Elephant". Which happens to be the first book my mom read to her. My daughter will be 12 weeks on Monday. How does a 12 week old have a favorite book??? I know, it sounds weird, but she really does. I read to her all the time, and whenever I show her the cover of "The Saggy Baggy Elephant" she starts kicking her legs, smiling, and cooing...yup, she loves it!

I know, babies love the "reading voice" the soft soothing sounds we inevitable make when we are reading a story to a baby. Although, I know she does not understand WHAT I am saying, she IS trying to figure it out. She literally coos more than any 3 month old I have ever been around, and everyone who is around her tells me that! I really think, it's from all the books. She talks along with me when I read, and she loves looking at the vibrant colors on the pages, and it's so much fun for me to see how much she enjoys it!

So, I think one of the best tips EVER is, read to your baby! Not only is it helping them developmentally, but it is also an amazing bonding experience to have with your child, no matter what age they are!

1 comment:

  1. Mine's 23 months now and so very interactive with books, but last night she was FREAKING out because it was bedtime - didn't want her milk, soother, baby, blankie...but when I sat down and started reading one of her books out loud she quickly stopped screaming and shuffled over to sit with me and 'read' along - it was HILARIOUS!

    So good on you guys! :)

    ReplyDelete