Friday, April 29, 2011

Royal Fairytales!


Who else watched all of the Royal Wedding coverage today?

I was completely mesmerized. I'm not sure if it was the fairytale/fantasy of it all, young common-girl, meets prince and falls in love, or just the extreme pageantry of the whole occasion, but I loved every second of it!

I wasn't born, when Princess Diana married Prince Charles, but like most little girls I always had dreams of marrying my prince one day. Luckily I did find prince charming (full disclosure- he's not a real prince).

And, thanks to the miracle of TV and re-runs I was eventually able to see the pageantry and glory that was Princess Diana's wedding, and I can remember being young, and marveling at the glamour of it all. That's how I wanted my wedding to be, the dress, the service, the bells chiming for the whole country to enjoy at the end of the nuptials...yup, I would want all of that!

It's funny how most women have had their weddings planned out since they were 5, while men just seem to jump on for the ride. My friend is engaged and her fiance is really in to the planning aspect of it all. He's right there with her, giving his opinions and his input...

uhhh, no thanks!

I mean, don't get me wrong, the guy should be interested in what is happening on the wedding day, but I totally prefer to be the one in charge of the planning, and am so thankful my husband was the type of guy that was all for that!

He of course wanted to taste the cake samples, and put in a request that he not be forced to wear pink or some other pastel color vest, or tie, and of course wanted to pick his own groomsmen, but other than that, it was alllll me!

Of course it was his day too, but it's always a little bit more of the bride's day! Like I said, when we were 5, I was wearing my mothers veil around the house, and pretending to marry prince charming, while my husband was probably playing star wars with his neighbor.

Either way, the iconic image of Princess Diana always stuck with me. I knew I would model "my day" after hers. I always wanted the traditional church wedding, and thanks to Diana, I knew I wanted the long veil trailing behind me on my long walk down St. Benedict's cobble paved aisle.

So, today as I watched the Royal Wedding, and watched Catherine step out of the car making her way into the church, I along with every one else in the world commented on how beautiful she looked, and how stunning her gown was, but I couldn't help but think of my daughters and how one day very far from now it will be "their day" and maybe the fairytale of William and Kate will influence them much like Diana did mine....








Something about attending weddings (or watching them on TV) brings back the emotion and the excitement of your own. I pulled out our wedding album today and just took time, to flip through the pictures and recollect...I wanted to leave you guys with some pictures from "my special day"











Here's to fairytales!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment