Friday, June 12, 2009

Poor Baby

this post is about poop. Yes, you know you are reading a blog about a child when poop is being talked about.

My little one is backed up, BAD. I went to change her diaper before putting her down to sleep last night and noticed some poop trying to come out, she was trying so hard to push it out but she just couldn't. It was pitiful. I put her to sleep, hoping it would just come out on its own. This morning, she was in so much pain. She was pushing so hard that her face was turning red, her stomach was so hard and tight, and of course the crying was AWFUL. The poor baby just couldn't get the poop out at all, she's always has loose stools, so this hard poop was just too much for her.

So I called the Pediatrician to see what I should do. They told me to take a rectal thermometer and stick it in her butt to stimulate her to push. Umm, excuse me??????

Does that NOT sound right to anyone else? I was like, " I can't do that!"

So, of course I'm standing at the changing table with the rectal thermometer in my hand, and my daughter is looking at me like she knows exactly what is about to happen. Then, my doorbell rings....thank god. It was my cousin, who happens to be an RN (hallelujah)! She was stopping by to bring an outfit she had bought for the baby, so I told her about my dilemma.

She laughed in my face. Not cool.

She said, that was normal and it was nothing to freak out about. She also suggested taking one of those dental syringes and putting some water in it and squirting it in her butt to soften her stool. I'm sorry, what is wrong with the medical community?? The best part, she said that if my daughter didn't go to the bathroom, that the Pediatrician may want me to manually "un-impact" her.

"How do you do that?" I asked.
"With your finger", she replied as she laughed out loud at my horrified expression.

I know, being a mom can be a messy business, but I never expected to EVER have a conversation remotely like this with my cousin! So, we sat there while I fed my baby, and I was praying that she would just poop so that I wouldn't have to prod it out of her. After she ate me and my cousin took her into the nursery and plopped her on the changing table, I opened her diaper and....EUREKA, poop! Thank goodness! She was still straining to get it all out, but the important thing was it WAS coming out!

I'm pretty sure she heard and understood every word of our conversation :)

3 comments:

  1. It's pretty scary what our mom's have to do. Wait til she gets older. My three year old was always constipated and the doc was always mentioning suppositories... ugh. No thanks.

    But keep in mind if they get constipated too long and the poo gets hard they can actually impact their bowels (not sure what it actually is, but i'm sure if i google it i'll be grossed out so i'll leave it to you, but it's bad apparently).

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh gosh!! lets hope she doesnt get blocked up again!! i dont know if i could do the squirting of water or anything... eww.

    ReplyDelete
  3. awe poor baby. My son was like that too. If she gets backed up again, you can try to give her 1/3 apple juice & 2/3 water. It worked everytime for my son. GL!

    ReplyDelete